If you have been trying to lose weight, know that there are various modern ways on how to do so. Among all the options available on the market, intermittent fasting is seen to have taken the whole by storm, especially among many fitness enthusiasts and health aficionados. In fact, the New England Journal of Medicine said that it is a “is a legitimate option” in improving and maintaining health as a lifestyle approach.
What is intermittent fasting?
It is an eating pattern between periods of fasting and eating. The two most popular patterns are 16:8 (eating within an eight-hour window and fasting the remaining 16 hours) and 5:2 (eating normally for five days and fasting on the other two non-consecutive days in a week).
Various studies have shown the amazing health benefits that it offers, such as effective weight loss, reduced muscle loss, lower blood sugar, and improved heart health. Nevertheless, there are a few things to be wary of when undergoing this weight loss approach.
In this article, we will share the dos and don’ts of intermittent fasting that you should know about:
The Dos of Intermittent Fasting
- Check with your doctor: It’s best to talk to your primary healthcare provider first before you take the plunge into fasting. It is all the more necessary if you have other underlying health conditions or are taking certain medications, as intermittent fasting for weight loss may impact your overall health.
- Choose your foods wisely: As you may be undergoing fasting for a long period, you have to ensure you’re eating healthy when the right time comes. Doing so will make sure that you still get the proper nutrients needed by your body.
- Drink plenty of water: Dry fasting has been getting some attention recently, as many doctors say that this can be detrimental to one’s health. While you go fasting for food, healthcare experts highly recommend that you still drink plenty of water regularly.
The Don’ts of Intermittent Fasting
- Ignore what your body tells you: Fasting can be quite tricky because it takes lots of self-discipline and control. However, that doesn’t mean you should take your body for granted. Pay attention to your body when fasting and see if you have headaches, dizziness, upset stomach, or low energy. If so, check with your doctor immediately to see whether or not this weight-loss approach is worth pursuing.
- Break the fast too quickly: A rule of thumb in intermittent fasting is to regulate the amount of food you eat right after fasting. If you take a heavy meal after your fast, you may risk going overboard and ending up with gastro-related issues.
- Consume a lot during the eating period: You may think that after fasting, you can eat all you want. However, consuming more than what you actually need and eating whatever you want will merely defeat the purpose of fasting.
At this point, you now know that many health experts have claimed the various health benefits of intermittent fasting. Yet, in the process, you have to do it correctly so that you don’t defeat its purpose. For this reason, be sure to consider the dos and don’ts outlined above, and you’ll have desirable results in the end!
We offer a wide variety of weight loss coffee products. If you are looking for products ideal for your intermittent fasting, browse through our US online store today!